Sionic Energy is an innovative, energy storage technology company with more than 10 years developing breakthrough products for the Li-ion battery markets. Utilizing innovative materials and cell designs, the Company has recently developed a revolutionary low cost, high-capacity silicon anodes that finally enables high-capacity silicon batteries to enter mainstream markets. Delivering a very disruptive performance jump in energy density, at lower cost, with increased safety for E-mobility, consumer electronics, and aviation markets, the Company is well positioned to rapidly commercialize this technology with seamless integration into the existing Li-ion manufacturing eco-system.
The Company is supported by top-tier venture capital firms and strategic investors that, alongside its previous product partnerships with leading automotive, mobile device, battery, and battery companies, provides the foundation for rapid growth.
Reporting into the Director of Cell Engineering, the Senior Battery Design Engineer plays a critical role in refining the cell designs for Sionic’s silicon anode & electrolyte innovations in next generation Li-ion battery cell platforms. You’ll work closely with the R & D team to optimize and adapt the technology to various cell formats, duty cycles, and requirements of customer targets and the associated manufacturing. The focus will include validation and design optimization with materials selection, electrode designs, and associated components for complete high performance balanced cell design.
This position and its efforts towards designing, executing, and implementing in-depth data analysis of E-chem experiments will have a strategic impact on the commercial rollout of Sionic’s silicon battery designs. The position is a rare opportunity to be at the forefront, growing a startup into a flourishing business.
- Design and release Sionic Energy’s standard 21700 cell
- Design and release of cells incorporating Sionic Energy’s proprietary silicon anode and electrolyte to meet customer-specific form factors and requirements
- Develop and implement APQP (Advanced Product Quality Planning) product development discipline across cell development activities
- Conduct material, formulation, and design evaluations for new product versions or new generations of products, including active materials, additives, separator, and electrolytes
- Execute electrode & cell design optimizations to achieve customer/market requirements on performance, safety, reliability, and cost
- Run well-designed experiments based on DOE and Taguchi methodologies
- Perform structured root cause analysis when necessary to achieve design and product goals
- Execute cell DFMEA’s to identify risk and manage mitigation
- Develop and execute design validation test plan to validate cells to meet customer and regulatory requirements
- Develop component, assembly, and quality level drawings and specifications enabling successful sourcing and manufacturing of product
- Develop and execute validation test plans to support component supplier qualification
- Transfer design to manufacturing and support launch through PV (Process Validation) gates
- Provide sustaining engineering support for ongoing product manufacturing
- 3-5 years+ of experience in battery design, development and optimization including knowledge of balancing key materials, electrodes and components for optimal performance
- Knowledge of the fundamentals of cell lithium-ion battery materials, components, performance, impedance, cell testing/data analysis, and failure modes.
- 3- 5+ years of automotive product development experience
- Experience in developing product from stage of research through to commercial delivery
- Experience in implementation of product development process (APQP knowledge preferred)
- Bachelor’s degree in Materials Science, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or related field
- Familiarity with DOE, FMEA and Taguchi methodologies preferred
- Strong problem-solving skills, with the ability to combine theory with empirical observation
- Ability to interact effectively with suppliers, partners, vendors, and colleagues
- Self-motivated, persistent, hands-on, and results-oriented
- Strong written and oral communication
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment
- High degree of professionalism and maturity with good judgment
How to apply
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Sionic Energy is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.